In this building, Judge Frank Johnson Jr. legalized desegregation of buses in 1955 and, in 1965, ruled that the march from Selma to Montgomery was legal and could continue. Judge Johnson was a beacon of hope for the South during the most turbulent years of the Civil Rights Movement. He set statewide and national standards with his anti-segregationist rulings on voting rights, affirmative action, standards of treatment in prisons and employment discrimination.
The original building has been preserved; additional space was added later. A future iniative, The Global Institute for Freedom and Justice, is planning to create a global classroom and international destination focused on civil and human rights. Learn more at freedomandjustice.com.